Famous Medieval Church
St Mary’s Church Snettisham is one of the most imposing and notable of over 650 Medieval churches in Norfolk and is a perfect venue for concerts with its majestic size and glorious acoustics.
Situated on rising ground behind the village, it is built of flint with freestone dressings believed to have come from Barnack, near Peterborough, or possibly from Caen in Normandy. It was erected in about 1340 on the site of a Norman church (no evidence of which remains) and the windows contain beautiful tracery of that period.
Snettisham was a place of some importance in Medieval times which explains why this church is a large one but originally it was much bigger and of cruciform shape. The spire, one of the few in Norfolk, is 175 ft high with attractive flying buttresses. It is second to the spire of Norwich Cathedral, which is 315 ft high. A conspicuous landmark, it is also a seamark for vessels in the Wash. It was partly blown down by a gale in 1895 and rebuilt.
The beautifully painted Medieval pulpit, a Tudor brass lectern, a 12th century bell, brass memorial plaques and an impressive three arched porch are among some of the significant features of this remarkable church that we wish to maintain intact for future generations.